Friday, January 18, 2013

Elemental Dragons! Most Welcomed!

One of my YGO friends in real life pm'ed me on this new elemental dragon archtype today. I wasn't impressed but then I saw this dude, Tempest the Storm Dragon. 


Tempest the Storm Dragon 

Level 7 Wind Dragon

2400 / 2200

You can banish 2 Dragon-Type or WIND monster from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card from your hand or graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned : Return it to the hand. You can send this card and 1 other WIND monster from your hand to the Graveyard; add 1 Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. When this card is banished : Add 1 WIND Dragon-Typer monster from your deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Tempest the Storm Dragon" once per turn.

(Didn't notice it was grave instead of field until I saw DS's post, its definately better now!)

...

My friend is an experienced Dragunity player and had been playing them for years now, I can see why was he so excited. I agree, the best deck this card could possibly played in, is without a doubt (at this point), Dragunity. I'm not sure how they are gonna incorporate this into their strategy, but I do see that coming soon. I'm no expert with Dragunity so I'm not sure how this is gonna work, but my gut tells me that a new Dragunity build is coming. Another friend of mine suggested Harpies, which is reasonable, since Harpie's Pet Baby Dragon can be very very beast at times. Another thing might be just splash it into WIND decks as a steady stream of beaters, like how I see the other 3 dragons could end up working.

At this point, I don't really think much of the other 3 Dragons. And in our conversation, I asked this "Dude ... you think this might ... I dunno, work in Hieratics maybe?" 

Most apologies to those who, at this point, bored of my Hieratic related topics. I can't help it, every new card revealed I would try to mesh it with Hieratics. Its like I'm drugged or something.

If you look at Hieratics, they have plenty of tutors and is in no need of another situational tutor that may end up a dead draw. Also, I don't really wanna banish any of my dragons and to top things off, the only WIND Dragon in my deck would be Emerald Dragon (or Luster Dragon for the TCG folks). I just doesn't seem like a working recipe no matter how you look at it. I read the card, over and over again so I could find something I could make work. And this line here may be the key. 

"During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned : Return it to the hand."

I was thinking maybe teching a copy so if I have Emerald Dragon stuck in my hand, I could maybe tutor it for profit? I could always Atum it out and bounce it at the end of my opponent's next turn. But who in the right mind would let me recycle it? There's always special summoning it on my opponent's turn, Call of the Haunted is a good card that I run in 3, but that's a waste. And then ... "Hanzo maybe?" I quickly put that in my note book.

Now, the other problem, more WIND monsters. I considered Red-Eyes Wyvern but his too much a chore to play and not doing much at all. So, I did the next best thing ... playing 2 Emerald Dragons instead of 1 of each Vanilla. But that's gonna cost me my 3 card OTK, so I'm seriously considering against it. But its working out for me thus far, I'm playing with a proxy on Dueling Network with some of my friends and its doing quite well. I mean, most of the times, I don't even draw into it and the deck just feels like standard Hanzo Hieratics. But for the games that I pulled or somehow work this card back to hand, it was amazing. This might be better in Games 2 and 3 where I side in copies of Koaki Meiru Drago for Light and Dark match ups (if only Drago was 2000 instead of 1900, I would have no problems against Verz (>.<) ).

All and all, I do feel its a fun card to play with. Spamming the Constellar XYZs and controlling the hand is super fun. The card still needs testing thou, but as of now, I'm definately liking it. Really wish this guy was level 6 instead of 7, but then again, he would be broke if he is level 6. 




1 comment:

petqwe said...

To be exact, it is Luster Dragon #2