Saturday, June 23, 2012

Hieratic deck [Update 23rd June]

This is gonna be one of my last blog post for this deck for a while, since Official Tourney season is over for the most of us, until Top Shop and Asian Plus in September or October. I'm gonna be building more random decks and focus more on my HERO (which I've mostly neglected since ACQ) till then. Looking forward to play the new Mermail and the updates to the Spell Book archtypes looks cool, from what I'm seeing now Abyss Rising is a much better set as compared to Return of Duelist.

monster (21):

3 Aset
3 Su
3 Tfenut
3 Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
3 Effect Veiler
3 Cardcar D
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
1 Emerald Dragon
1 Wattail Dragon

spell (14):

3 Hieratic Seal of Convocation
3 Pot of Duality
3 Mystic Space Typhoon
2 Forbidden Lance
1 Heavy Storm
1 Dark Hole
1 Monster Reborn

trap (5):

2 Torrential Tribute
2 Raigeki Break
1 Solemn Judgment

I've looked into the problem with my decklist in WCQ, and concluded that I was playing the deck based too much on countering my opponent instead of trying to do what it suppose to do. Cards like Safe Zone may be great against Inzektors (in theory), but it didn't help me solve problems the majority of the time, and there were times I wished the card I was setting is Phoenix Wing Wind Blast.

Now, why I took out Wing Blast for Raigeki Break. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Wing Blast. But to me, Wing Blast is a card based around defense where Raigeki Break is the offensive part of the duo. A timely played Wing Blast can spell game, since it means your opponent is gonna waste his next turn on a dead card, and it also gives you time to prepare for it, no doubt there. But this is not where I wanna lead my deck into. Raigeki Break is a much simpler card, unlike Wing Blast, you could play it whenever it was targeted without much consideration (given you have hand advantage). While I do agree this to be player preference, I do feel Raigeki Break suits my deck better at the current format, since Machina Gadget is picking up in popularity. Why PWWB is mediocre against gadgets you say? Because of the Gadgets and Offering to the Doom, and sending Gearframe and Fortress for them doesn't solve your problems all to much from my point of view.



I've also played Trago, CyDra and Drago in my main deck during WCQ. These were bad mistakes, they were dead weight in my deck, Drago and Trago especially. The original reasoning for Tragoedia in the main was BLS. I wanted to play BLS no matter what, because this deck lacks a top deck, and I wanna give it a very good one. Experience and play testing showed me that 3 Red-Eyes are more than enough it seems, since I would only ever need BLS if my OTK fails, when that happens, I would most definitely have Red-Eyes in the grave. I do consider Cyber Dragon a better tech as compare to the other 2. It gives me access to Volcasaurus and Tiras much easily, and its a great top deck against Gadgets, but being nothing more than a beatstick for other match ups lead me away from it.





Another thing I notice was that I played far too many monsters for my comfort, and my trap line up was almost non-existence. I usually play no more than 20 monsters, 21 is already pushing it for me, but I played 24 monsters in WCQ. I would definitely do better if those 3 were Traps instead, having more traps suits my playstyle better. Well, I guess this means lesson learned.

Most of the deck stays the same, and I feel this is the best pure Hieratic build in the Asian format, player preference might differ, but I can't see another build, thats not tech to beat Hieratics, taking this down (unless my opponent is Malaysian-God level). I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I'm extremely confident with this build, I've been building numerous builds and constantly test playing the deck for the past few months. My only regret was that I did not stick with this build, but instead trying to do too much in WCQ. "Try not to do too much and focus on a goal" is something I ALWAYS tell other Hieratic players when they ask me for advise, guess I should have followed my own advise.

Until new support or a new meta shift occurs, I would no longer update on this deck, as I feel this is the best build for the format (that suits myself). I'm now currently building both Dino Rabbit and Machina Gadgets, as well as updating my extremely obsolete HERO build. I may have lost my 2nd chance for a trip aboard for 2012, but theres still 2 chances left. Signing out.

5 comments:

Justin Sung said...

Whoah, you played 24 monsters? I only play 19 monters only at all times, and I feel it is smoother that way @@

GQ said...

19!? You don't play hand traps and Cardcar D?

Anonymous said...

I wish to ask, what's the extra deck you played ? Are you following the tournament format or you play those unofficial cards ? please give me some guides. ><

GQ said...

official format, since this is my official tourney deck

Anonymous said...

so what you run ? mind sharing ?